Suppose you are looking for a mattress that will give you support, comfort, and temperature control. While doing your research you found that some mattresses are made in combination with other materials with latex. If you're unfamiliar with the benefits of latex, we're here to tell you all about it! Latex is made from natural rubber tree sap. It offers support and comfort, making it perfect for mattresses because of its consistency. Plus, it is an eco-friendly material due to its renewable resources!
There are two different types of latex: Dunlop and Talalay. The main difference is the process of how the materials are processed. Dunlop has been around for longer and was once preferred by many due to its unique properties, but its popularity started decreasing over time because of Talalay Latex. Talalay Latex has some of the features and characteristics, plus some significant improvements, increasing comfort and a more natural mattress.
Where does Latex Come From?
Latex, otherwise known as “The Sleep of Kings” is a highly coveted material that has been used for centuries to make objects such as shoes and mattresses more comfortable. Both Talalay and Dunlop, are extracted from the sap of rubber trees (hevea brasiliensis also called "the true rubber tree). These trees have a 25-year lifespan making them, productive providers.
The difference between them is in the process, where Talalay is a process that yields very controlled densities and product "feel". The formulation uses many of the same base components as Dunlop's, but without gellation reagents. This means customers who are looking for healthier alternatives can find it on Talalay because they won't release volatile organic compounds when aged in oil— petrochemical products do not have this trait!
What is the process of making Talalay Latex?
- Extract the sap from rubber trees.
- Combine liquid latex, soaps, rubber, and curing agents to create a batter.
- Moulding the batter on a pressroom to create a unique aerated cell structure.
- Freeze it to a temperature of -20 degrees celsius to ensure consistent cell structure.
- Whipped into a frothy state and then high temperature added to “bake” it into a solid state.
- Cooled and removed from the mould.
- Water rinse to remove latex proteins and residuals.
- Drying process to remove residual moisture.
What are the Benefits of Talalay Latex?
Talalay latex has more benefits over Dunlop latex. Some can be considered too small to notice, but once you have them in mind, they might not be so small:
● There is a wider range of firmness when it comes to Talalay latex.
● Talalay latex bounces better than Dunlop latex, helping roll over the bed easier.
● Talalay latex creates a pleasant contouring feeling, providing a better body-shaping and weight distribution, helping to reduce pressure points and helping with spine alignment.
● Talalay latex is known for being a very durable material with keeping its features for a longer time.
● Talalay latex returns to its initial shape after you remove weight from it faster - even more responsive than memory foam.
● Zero off-gassing. No health risks from sleeping on it, without ozone depleters, heavy materials, formaldehyde, and PBDE flame retardants. (Haven’s mattresses have CertiPUR-US certification).
Talalay Latex, an Eco-Friendly and Comfortable Solution
Talalay Latex is a natural and renewable resource. If carefully treated, it can be last up to 25 years and frees our atmosphere from carbon dioxide. The process of creating a mattress from Talalay Latex from a renewable source is a commitment to our planet.
It is made without the use of solvents and harmful substances (even safe for babies), biodegradable ingredients from renewable resources, and water-based materials.
Talalay latex does not off-gas like others with synthetics used in their process, so you can rest easy knowing there are no harmful chemicals and only natural ingredients.
Get Better Sleep with Haven’s Mattresses
The Talalay Latex mattress offers you comfort without compromising on quality thanks to its innovative design which allows for breathability while maintaining durability, so it lasts longer than traditional bedding products.
Talalay latex is a type of material that is softer and more supportive at the same time. It also provides better support for your body because it responds naturally to changes in pressure while giving off fewer bounces than polyurethane mattresses. This eco-friendly material costs much less on disposal compared with synthesizing substances, such as plastics, so you can have both comfort AND green living at once.
Haven mattresses uses Talalay latex for a natural way to make them antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. We take this one step further by infusing the top layer with copper for additional temperature control as well as an array of health benefits.
How Talalay latex offers ultimate comfort:
● Provides gentle cushioning and buoyant support, which is especially beneficial for sleepers with back and joint pain.
● Contours heavier body parts, such as the hips and shoulders. This provides pressure relief for the body.
● Has natural bounce and elasticity that helps to maintain optimal spinal alignment by gently supporting lighter areas, like the neck and back arch.
● Fully vented to improve airflow and infused with actual Copper, our latex delivers advanced cooling you won't find in a memory foam bed.
● Offers the most consistent firmness of any latex product.
● Softer, more buoyant, and more durable than denser Dunlop latex.
● Relieves pressure points 10 times better than Dunlop latex.
● It's 7 times more breathable than Dunlop latex, making it the most breathable latex available.