Your bedroom is your sanctuary, it is a personal space where you go to rest, relax and recharge. Sleep can be underrated as an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and though it can be difficult when sleeping with someone else, we have compiled a list of eight easy steps to help you create a good sleep environment to help you get the best sleep possible.
8 Easy Steps for a Good Sleep Environment
Follow these 8 easy steps to ensure your bedroom is the perfect place for slumber:
- First and foremost, let's talk about your mattress. A good mattress is essential for proper back support and preventing motion transfer. If you're waking up with aches and pains or feeling like you're being tossed and turned all night, it might be time to invest in a new mattress. Additionally, it's important to note that mattresses have a lifespan of around 6 to 8 years, so if yours is older than that, it's definitely time for an upgrade.
- Next up, let's talk about pillows. A pillow that provides proper neck support and keeps your head aligned with your spine can make all the difference when it comes to preventing headaches and neck pain. If you're waking up with these symptoms, it might be time to switch out your pillow for one that better meets your needs. Whether you like gel, foam, or something specifically for sleeping on your side, we have you covered.
- When it comes to bedding, investing in quality is key. Percale, Sateen, and Bamboo are all great options for sheets that will feel soft and luxurious against your skin. Haven offers bedding by Bedface–from sheets and pillowcases, to duvet covers, and more.
- Lighting can also play a big role in how well you sleep. If you're someone who has trouble falling asleep with electronics in the room, consider investing in black-out shades to block out the blue light emitted by your phone or tablet. Additionally, it's important to make sure the room is dark and quiet to promote the production of melatonin.
- Bedding accessories like sleep masks and pyjamas can also make a big difference when it comes to getting a good night's sleep. A sleep mask can help block out any remaining light in the room and pyjamas that are comfortable and breathable can help keep you cool throughout the night. We offer both Satin and Silk sleep sets which include a sleep mask, pillowcase and scrunchie to assist with better sleep, along with healthy hair and skin.
- Another important aspect of creating a good sleep environment is decluttering your room. Make sure you have a clear path to the restroom, remove any toys and clothes that might be lying around, and try to keep the room as neat and tidy as possible.
- Sleep hygiene is also crucial for a good night's sleep. This includes rotating your mattress every three months, washing your bedding regularly, and investing in a mattress protector to keep it clean and fresh.
- Finally, consider adding white noise, sounds, or music to your sleep routine. A quiet, relaxing sound can help soothe you to sleep and a sleep timer can help ensure that the sound isn't playing all night. Additionally, considering the smell in the room, lavender is known to promote sleep and it's important to avoid overpowering scents or off-gassing from new items, Haven is proud to be Certi-Pur certified meaning our products offer zero off-gassing. Lastly, the temperature of the room should be kept between 16-22 degrees celsius, as per recommendations by sleep experts.
Creating the perfect sleep environment is all about paying attention to the details. By investing in a good mattress and pillows, quality bedding, and taking steps to declutter and promote good sleep hygiene, you'll be well on your way to getting the restful and rejuvenating sleep you need.
Remember, it's not just about the quantity of sleep, but also the quality. Try as many as many of these recommendations as possible, and you'll be able to improve your sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.
Our goal at Haven is to provide better sleep for all, and we hope that you found these tips helpful in attaining your perfect sleep environment.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Haven Team at 1.888.MY.HAVEN. They would love to help you build the best sleep environment for your needs.