Are you in the process of moving and dreading the idea of having to move your mattress as well? Well, have no fear! We've got 7 tips to help you in the moving process and organize what you need in order to make your move as smooth as possible.
What you will need to move your mattress
Your first step in the planning process should always include a list of what you need. This will help to make sure there won’t be any surprises along the way!
Start by considering the type and size mattress you have. This will let you know if should be thinking about renting a larger vehicle. Also, asking for help from friends for family is always recommended - so be ready with snacks and drinks!
The most important thing to remember about your mattress is that you need to take care of it. Consider investing in the following tools to keep it safe:
- Heavy-duty mattress bag: This will protect your mattress from dirt, dust, water or a possible infestation. Heavy-duty bags are less likely to tear making the move easier.
- Duct tape: You really want your mattress bag well sealed.
- Ratchet strap or rope: This will become handy when securing your mattress to any vehicle or folding the mattress.
- Box cutter: Be careful and handle it with care to prevent damaging the mattress or hurting yourself,
- Dolly/wagon cart: This will help you in the moving process by taking some of the weight and preventing any damage from the ground.
7 Steps to moving your mattress
Now that you're all set with the proper equipment, here are the 7 easy steps to move your mattress:
- Pack your mattress in a heavy-duty bag: Put your mattress inside the bag and seal it with duct tape. Be sure there is the least amount of air in it before sealing. This will keep it safe from the elements.
- Clear your path to the vehicle: Try walking the path without your mattress first, making yourself more familiar with your surrounding area. Move everything that can get in your way. You don’t want to move things around while caring the mattress.
- Prepare the vehicle: Be sure that the space where the mattress will be laying is cleared and clean. Move seats forward in advance, clear boxes, or anything that can get on your way while loading your mattress.
- Move your mattress to the vehicle: Consider you will be moving a 50 to 100 pounds mattress. This can make a difference when choosing to do it on your own or with an extra pair of hands. A dolly or a cart may provide some extra assistance. It is better to carry the mattress, but you can choose to drag it if you are alone, just be sure nothing will rip the bag or damage the mattress.
- Load your mattress: It is essential to keep the mattress flat (on a car’s roof or the trunk of a truck) or lying on one of its sides (on a moving van).
- Secure your mattress: Make sure you tie your mattress securely so that it wont be a danger while in transportation.
- Transporting your mattress (safety first): Plan your route. Use secondary roads to go slower and avoid fast turns or sudden braking/accelerating. This will help the mattress to stay in place with no damage.
There are a few things to consider depending on the type of vehicle:
On a car’s roof: Sit flat on the bottom of the mattress. Open your windows to strap and secure the mattress in case you don’t have a luggage rack.
On a truck’s trunk: Flat on the trunk or slightly lying on the wheel tub is ok.
In a moving Van: It can be standing on one of its sides, secured with straps to avoid sudden moves and possible damage.
How easy is it to move your Haven on your own
Moving your Haven mattresses is so easy you can even do it yourself! Watch this video to learn more.